Two Rate Property Taxation
Land Value Taxation
Site Value Taxation
(Compiled by GilbertHalverson, Madison, WI)
- Agapos, A.M. and Dunlap, Paul, R., Elimination of Urban
Plight Through Inverse Proportional Ad Valorem Property Taxation.
AJES, Vol. 32, April 1973
- Andrews, R.B., ed., Urban Land Use Policy: The Central
City, New York, The Free Press, 1972.
- Archer, R. W., Site Value Taxation in Central Business
District Redevelopment (Sydney, Australia), Washington, D.C. Urban
Land Institute, 1969.
- Bails, Dale, Two Municipal Revenue Sources Contrasted:
The Land Value Tax and the Property Tax, AJES, Vol.33, No. 2, April
- Banks, Ronald, ed., Costing The Earth, London,
- Becker, Arthur, Arguments for Changing the Real Estate
Tax to a Land Value Tax, T___ P, September-December, 1970.
- Land and Building Taxes, Madison, University of Wisconsin Press,
- Beeman, William, J., The Property Tax and Spatial Pattern
of Growth Within Urban Areas, Washington, D.C., Urban Land
Institute, 1969, Research Monograph 16.
- Bentick, Brian, L., The Impact of Taxation and Valuation
Practices on the Timing and Efficiency of Land Use. JPE, Vol. 87,
No. 4, 1979.
- and Thomas F. Pogue, The Impact on Development Timing of Property
and Profit Taxation. LE, Vol. 64, 1988.
- Bird, Richard, M. Charging For Public Services: A New
look at an Old Idea, Toronto, Canadian tax Foundation, 1976.
- Bourassa, Steven, C., Land Value Taxation and New Housing
Development in Pittsburgh. Growth and Change, Fall 1987.
- Land Value Taxation and Housing Development: Effects of Property
Tax Reform in Three Types of Cities, AJES, Vol. 49, No. 1, January
- Breckenfeld, Gurney, "Higher Taxes That Promote
Development," Fortune, August 8, 1983.
- Brueckner, Jan, A Modern Analysis of the Effects of Site
Value Taxation. NTJ, Vol. XXXIX, No. 1, March 1986
- Bryant, R.W.G., Land: Private Property, Public Control,
Montreal, Harvest House, 1972.
- Buchanan, James M., Tollison, Robert D., and Tullock,
Gordon, eds., Toward an Theory of the Rent Seeking Society, College
Station, Texas A&M University Press, 1980.
- Canadian Tax Foundation, Site Value as a Base for Local
Taxation, Fifteenth Tax Conference, 1961.
- Carmen, Patricia A., Site Value Taxation, International
Association of Assessing Officers, Chicago, 1980.
- Chisholm, Michael and Kivell, Phillip, Inner City Waste
Land: An Assessment of Government and Market Failure in Land
Development, London, Institute of Economic Affairs, 1987.
- Coughlan, J. Anthony, Land Value Taxation and
Constitutional Uniformity. George Mason Law Review, Vol. 7, No. 2,
- Cowan, H. Bronson, A Graphic Summary of Municipal
Improvements and Finance as Affected by the Untaxing of Improvements
and the Taxation of Land Values, International Research Committee o
Real Estate Taxation, New York, Harper Brothers, 1958.
- Cuddington, John T., Estimating Impacts of a Property
Tax Reform, LE, 54, August, 1978.
- DiMasi, Joseph A., The Effects of Site Value Taxation in
an Urban Area: A General Equilibrium Computational Approach, NTJ,
Vol. 40, No. 4, December 1987.
.... DOUGLAS, RICHARD W.
- Douglas, Richard W., Jr., Site Value Taxation and
Manvel's Land Value Estimates, AJES, Vol. 37, No. 2, April 1978
- Site Value Taxation and the Timing of Land Development, AJES,
Vol. 39, No. 3, July 1980.
- Edwards, Mary E., Site Value Taxation in Australia:
Where Land is Taxed More and Improvements less, Average Housing
Values and Stocks Higher, AJES, Vol. 43, No. 4, October 1984.
- Feldstein, Martin, The Surprising Incidence of a Tax on
Pure Rent, JPE, April 1977.
- Follain, James R. and Miyake Tamar Emi., Land Verses
Capital Value Taxation: A General Equilibrium Analysis, NTJ, Vol.
39, December 1986.
.... GAFFNEY, MASON
- Urban Expansion -- Will it Ever Stop? Yearbook of
- Red Light and Green Light Taxes, Groundswell, Vol. 11, No. 3,
- The Corruption of Economics, London, Shepheard-Walwyn,
- Land as a Distinct Factor of Production, in Land and Taxation,
ed. Nicolaus Tideman, London, Shepheard-Walwyn, 1994.
- Land Planning and the Property Tax, Journal of the American
Institute of Planners, Vol. 35, No. 3, 1969.
- Land Rent, Taxation, and Public Policy: The Sources, Nature, and
Functions of Urban Land Rent, AJES, Vol. 31, No. 3, July 1972.
- Land Rent, Taxation and Public Policy: Taxation and the Functions
of Urban Land Rent, AJES, Vol. 32, No. 1, January 1973.
- Tax Reform to Release Land, in Modernizing Urban Land Policy, ed.
Marion Clawson, Baltimore, John Hopkins Press, 1973.
- An Agenda for Strengthening the Property Tax, in Property Tax
Reform, ed. George E. Peterson, Washington, D.C., The John C.
Lincoln Institute and the Urban Institute, 1973.
- What is Property Tax Reform? AJES, Vol. 31, No. 2, April 1972.
- The Many Faces of Site Value Taxation, Twenty-Seventh Tax
Conference, Canadian Tax Foundation 1975.
- The Role of Ground rent in Urban Decay and Revival, The Henry
George Lecture, St. John's University, October 1988.
- George, Henry, 1880, Progress and Poverty,
Reprinted by Robert Schalkenbach Foundation, New York, 1996.
- Gihring, Thomas, A., Incentive Property Taxation: A
Potential Tool For Urban Growth Management, Journal of American
Planning Association, Vol. 65, No. 1, Winter 1999
- Grosskopf, Shawna, The Revenue Potential of Site Value
Taxation. AJES, Vol 40, No. 2, April 1981.
.... HARRISON, FRED
- The Power in the Land: An Inquiry into Unemployment, the
Profits Crisis and Land Speculation, London, Shepheard-Walwyn
(Publishers) Ltd. 1983.
- Property Taxation: What Good and Whats Bad about It, AJES, Vol.
33, No. 1, January 1974.
- Hellyer, Paul, Chairman, Report of the Task Force on
Housing and Urban Development, Ottawa, The Queens Printer, 1969.
.... HEWISON, R.W.
- The Argument For Site Value Assessment, Technical Bulletin,
Institute of Municipal Assessors of Ontario (IMOA) No. 5/75
- Basis Economic and Planning Reasons for Using Site Value
Assessment, Technical Bulletin, IMOA No. 6/75
- A Methodology for Developing Land Value Maps, IMOA, Technical
Bulletin, No. 8/75.
- Land Value Techniques, IMOA, Technical bulletin, No. 9/75
- Holland, Daniel M., ed., The Assessment of Land Value,
Madison, University of Wisconsin press, 1970, Committee on Taxation,
Resources and Economic Development-5.
- Kitchen, H.M., Local Government Finance in Canada,
Toronto, Canadian Tax Foundation, 1984.
.... LAKES, JOHN
.... LINDHOLM, RICHARD W.
- Classification, Corruption, Confusion, Focus on Canadian
Municipal Assessment and Taxation, Vol. IV, No. 5, May 1998
- Land Values Research Group, Reclamation of an Industrial Suburb:
A Municipal Rating Study of Fitzroy, 1949.
- Social Effects of Municipal Rating: A Study Conducted in
Footscray- The Relative Merits of Rating on Unimproved Land Value or
Annual Rental Value, 1945.
- ... and Lynn, A.D., Jr., eds., Land Value Taxation in Thought and
Practice, Madison, University of Wisconsin Press, 1981.
- Land Value Taxation: The Progress and Poverty Centenary, Madison,
University of Wisconsin Press, 1982, Committee on Taxation,
Resources, and Economic Development -11.
- Lindholm, Richard W., ed. Property Taxation- USA, Madison,
University of Wisconsin Press, 1967, Committee on Taxation,
Resources and Economic Development-2.
- Land Taxation and Economic Development, LE, 41, May, 1965.
- Public Choice and Land Tax Fairness, AJES, Vol. 38, No. 4,
- Twenty-one Land Value Taxation Questions and Answers, AJES, Vol.
31, No. 2, April 1972.
- Lynn, Arthur D., Jr., ed Property taxation, Land Use and
Public Policy, Madison, University of Wisconsin Press, 1976,
Committee on Taxation, Resources and Economic Development-8.
- Economics of the Property Tax, Washington, D.C. The
Brookings Institute, 1966
- What Do We Need To Know About Land Value Taxation? Cambridge,
Massachusetts, Lincoln Institute of Land Policy, September 1997.
- Noyes, Richard, ed. Now The Synthesis: Capitalism,
Socialism, and the New Social Contract, London, Shepheard-Walwyn,
- Oates, Wallace and Robert Schwab, The Impact of Urban
Land Taxation: The Pittsburgh Experience, N TJ, Vol. L, No. 1, March
....PEDDLE, FRANCIS K.
- Ontario, The Ontario Committee on Taxation, 1967, (Smith
Commission), 3 Vols., Government Printer, 1967
- Ontario, Report of the Commission on the Reform of Property
taxation, (Blair Commission), Government Printer, 1977
- Ontario, Fair Taxation in a Changing World, Report of the Ontario
Fair Tax Commission, December 1993
- Philosophies of Taxation in Contemporary Society, Henry George
Sesquicentennial International Conference, University of
Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 3, 1989.
- Cities and Greed: Taxes, Inflation, and Land Speculation,
Ottawa-Montreal, Canadian Research Committee on Taxation, 1994.
- Pollakowski, Henry O., Adjustment Effects of a Tax on
Land: The Pittsburgh Case, Cambridge Ma., Lincoln Institute of Land
Policy, Monograph No. 82-8.
- The Case for Taxing Location Values: A Memorandum for a
Metropolis Considering Property Tax Reform, AJES Vol. 28, No. 2,
- Twelve Ways to Sell Property Tax Reform, AJES, Vol. 33, No. 1,
- A Pungent Attack on Land Speculation, Progressive, August,
- Urban Financing For Jobs, Profits, and Prosperity, AJES Vol. 35,
No. 3, July 1976.
- Self -Interest Questions About Property Tax Reform, AJES Vol. 35
No. 4, October 1976.
- Broader Policy Issues in Property Tax Reform, AJES Vol. 36, No.
1, January 1977.
- Prest, A.R., The Taxation of Urban Land, Oxford,
Manchester University Press, 1981.
- Qadeer, M.A., The Nature of Urban Land, AJES, Vol. 40,
No. 2, April 1981.
- Property Taxation and Urban Development: Effects of the
Property Tax on City Growth and Change, Washington, D.C., Urban Land
Institute, 1961, Research Monograph 4.
- Transit: The Nature and Role of Localized Benefits: A Selected
Annotated Bibliography (Center for Transportation Studies,
University of British Columbia)
- The Public Interest in Land, Twelfth International Conference on
Land Value Taxation and Free Trade, Caswell, Wales, 1968, Canadian
Research Committee on Taxation, 1968.
- Resource Revenues: A Cause for Division in Canada, Utecht,
Holland, Fifteenth International Conference on Land Value Taxation
and Free Trade, July 24-31, 1982.
- Site-Value Taxation: A Comment on Burnaby's Experience,
Appraisal Institute Magazine, Vol. 6, No. 2, June 1962.
- Future Work: Jobs, Self Employment and Leisure After the
Industrial Age, New York, Universe Books, 1985.
- Future Wealth: A New Economics for the 21st Century, New York,
The Bootstrap Press, 1990.
- Can The Property Tax Be Made to Work For Rather than Against
Urban Development? AJES, Vol. 33, No. 3, July 1974.
- Moderator, Property Taxation, Housing and Urban Growth,
Washington, D.C., The Urban Institute, 1970.
- Pennsylvania Experiments in Property Taxation Modernization. NTJ,
- From Poverty to Prosperity by 2000: Prospects For Reviving West
Virginia's Economy, Kensington, Maryland, Center For Public
- Shoup, D.C., Financing Neighborhood Public Investment By
Deferred Special Assessment, Los Angles, School of Architecture and
Urban Planning, University of California, 1980.
- Skouras, Athanassios, Land and its Taxation as Issues in
Economic Theory: What is the Reason for their Eclipse? AJES, Vol.
39, N0. 4, October 1980.
- Slack, Enid, The Land Use Implications of Alternative
Municipal Financial Tools: A Discussion Paper, Toronto,
Intergovernmental Committee on Urban and Regional Research, 1993.
- Stone, Gerald, W., Jr. Public Spending, Land Taxes and
Economic Growth: An Empirical Analysis of the Adequacy of Land as a
Tax Base, AJES Vol. 34, No. 2, April 1975.
- Tideman, T. Nicolaus, A Tax on Land is Neutral, NTJ,
- Tucker, Gilbert M., The Self Supporting City, New York,
Robert Schalkenbach Foundation, 1958.
- Defining Land Value for Tax Purposes, In D.M. Holland, ed. The
Assessment of Land Value, Madison, University of Wisconsin Press,
- The City As A Firm in The Economics of Public Services by Martin
S. Feldstein and Robert P. Inman, eds., New York, Macmillian, 1977.
- Propositions Relating to Site Value Taxation, Columbia
University, August 13, 1995.
- Webber, Carolyn and wilavsky, Aron, A History of Taxation
and Expenditure in the Western World, New York, Simon and Schuster,
- Weir, Michael, and Lillian E. Peters, Development,
Equity, and the Graded Tax in the City of Pittsburgh. Property Tax
Journal, Vol. 5, June 1986
- Wildasin, David, E., More on the Neutrality of Land
Taxation, NTJ, Vol. 35, March 1982.
- AJ - The Appraisal Journal
- AJES - The American Journal of Economics and Sociology
- CTJ - Canadian Tax Journal
- HPE - History of Political Economy
- JLE - Journal of Law and Economics
- JPE - Journal of Political Economy
- LE - Land Economics
- NJT - National Tax Journal